Gesondheidsbeskuit – karringmelkbeskuit resep
Jammer, ek moes dit in Engels doen vir ‘n kollega…
Half (about 35 bite size pieces)
½ kg self raising flour
3 ½ cups stuff:
1 ½ cups rolled oats,
1 cup sunflower seeds,
½ cup pumpkin seeds,
½ cup raisins/sultanas.
2 tsp baking powder
284 ml (1/4 pint) buttermilk
± 200 ml milk
¾ cups sugar (187.5 ml)
250 g salted butter, warmed in the microwave for 30 seconds, ’til soft
1 kg self raising flour
7 cups stuff:
3 cups rolled oats,
2 cup sunflower seeds,
1 cup pumpkin seeds,
1 cup raisins/sultanas.
4 tsp baking powder
568 ml (1/2 pint) buttermilk
± 400 ml milk
1.5 cups sugar (375 ml)
500 g salted butter, warmed in the microwave for 30 seconds, ’til soft
1. Mix liquid ingredients, butter and sugar, mix well (blender).
2. Mix dry ingredients (excl. sugar)
3. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients. (Use your hands)
4. Spread the dough in a prepared (smeared thoroughly with butter, or use baking paper) baking trays and cut portion size lines into dough, to ease later separation (about 1 x 1 inch). Do not make the dough deeper than 4 cm, otherwise it will stay soggy.
5. Bake for 40 min at 180°C. Be very careful not to let it burn. Turn down the temperature to 150°C if it darkens, and cover with foil. If the pan is fairly deep, it could take longer than 40 min. Use a test-pin (skewer) or knife to determine if it is ready. (Insert the pin/knife, and if it comes out clean it is ready)
6. Turn the pan on its head to take the beskuit out. Be careful not to get it on the floor. An electric carving knife works well for cutting into pieces.
7. Return the pieces to the pan and dry out at 80-100°C in the oven. (It could take from 4 to 8 hours. Some people leave the oven door very slightly open (cm or two) Thermal fan ovens work best for drying.
8. When the beskuit is dry, pack into airtight containers. The beskuit must not become moist, so keep in the airtight containers.